This List was Compiled by Richard Hunter. For more information please contact Richard directly. (916) 608-1936
Running Events of Interest to Visually Impaired Runners
5K – 30K Races:
1. Vision 5K: Location: Boston MA; Date: June 20, 2010; website: http://www.vision5k.org/site/PageServer. This is a Boston area collaborative effort which raises money for Carroll Center for the Blind, MAB Community Services, National Braille Press, and Perkins School for the Blind. Prize money available. This race also serves as the USABA National 5K Championships. For more information contact: Tania Fernandez (617) 732-0241; firstname.lastname@example.org
2. 2010 U.S. Paralympic National Track and Field Championships: Miramar Florida; Date: June 18-20th. U.S. Paralympics establishes standards for participation.
3. Stampede for Visually Impaired Preschool Services 5K: Louisville, KY; Date: August 28, 2010; this race takes place at Churchill Downs, location of the Kentucky Derby. VIPS will help arrange for accommodations and will offset some travel expenses; website: http://www.vips.org/stampede.php?submenu=calendar; prize money- $300, $150, & $100 for male and female top 3 finishers. For more information contact Heather Benson (502) 498-2933; email@example.com.
4. Wilson Bridge Half Marathon: Location: Alexandria, VA; September 19, 2010; Website: www.wilsonbridgehalf.com; USABA will be making this the National Half-Marathon VI Championships; For more information contact John Potts at firstname.lastname@example.org; (719) 630-0422.
5. Army 10 Miler (Wounded Warrior VI Division only). All VI runners, regardless of military affiliation, will start at 7:50AM. Location: Washington D.C.; Date: October 24, 2010; website: http://www.armytenmiler.com/; C Different Foundation will be participating in 2010. For more information contact Marrielle Monte (310) 880-5154; email@example.com
6. Sugarland 5K & 30K Christmas Run: Location: Sugarland TX; website: http://www.americantowns.com/tx/sugarland/news/the-sugar-land-christmas-run-5k-234367; Supports C Different Foundation. This run attracts numerous VI runners. Call CDF to see if grants are available. In the past they have arranged for home stays and guide support. For more information contact Marrielle Monte (310) 880-5154; firstname.lastname@example.org
Marathons in the United States:
1. Boston Marathon: April 19, 2010; Location: Boston, MA; website: http://www.bostonmarathon.org/; Please note that VI runners only need a 5 hour marathon qualifying time; MAB Community Services “Team with a Vision” provides incredibly discounted hotel rates, shuttle service, and will find you guides if necessary. They do ask participants to raise funds for MAB; For more information contact: Tania Fernandez (617) 732-0241; email@example.com
2. Air Force Marathon: September 18, 2010; Location: Dayton, Ohio; website: http://www.usafmarathon.com/; Visually Impaired Division for the full marathon began in 2009. Information can be found on the full marathon page at http://usafmarathon.com/full.htm near the bottom of the page. On that page you will also see the Registration form, Guide registration form, and a Web Packet describing the division. Visually Impaired racers will be eligible for awards for the top three male and female racers. Contact Charles Anderson for more information: Charles.Anderson@wpafb.af.mil; (800) 467-1823
3. California International Marathon: December 5, 2010; Sacramento, CA; website: http://www.runcim.org/; home of the USABA National Visually Impaired Marathon Championships. The CIM VI division began in 2007. There is also a relay option. USABA provides medals to the top 3 male and female finishers in B1, B2, and B3 classifications. For more information contact Richard Hunter (916) 608-1936; firstname.lastname@example.org
Marathons in Canada with VI Division:
1. BMO Vancouver Marathon: May 2, 2010, Vancouver BC (Olympic City). VI category for full marathon, ½ marathon & 8K. Race website: http://www.bmovanmarathon.ca/index.php. For more information contact Rose Sarkany (250) 723-4295; email@example.com.
2. Royal Victoria Marathon: October 10, 2010, Victoria BC www.royalvictoriamarathon.com. This event has VI categories in all events: full marathon, 1/2 marathon and 8K. For more information contact Rose Sarkany (250) 723-4295; firstname.lastname@example.org.